Motorcycle Detailing Tips
Getting Your Baby Clean
You may have just pulled your bike out of winter storage or for whatever reason the bike needs a good cleaning. If you want to get your baby shining like new, here’s how:
- Prep the bike for a good wash and wax:
- Lift the bike and secure it on a motorcycle jack (this allows for undercarriage access).
- Cover all exposed electronics (Taping a plastic bag works).
- Cover all exposed air intakes (Cover the carburetor and fuel injection intake).
- Spray the bike with a hose, get it good and wet
- Use a clean sponge and good quality car wash soap (lather it up real good):
- If you drivetrain has some grease build up, you can use a degreaser (let it sit for 5 minutes).
- Rinse the entire bike.
- Dry the bike with a microfiber cloth:
- Removing the seat and easy dress up coverings will make it much easier to polish the paint.
- If your bike has some age, the paint may have swirl marks or scratches. Use rubbing compound made for light scratches. Apply just like wax until the entire service has a dry film. The hard part is rubbing it off with a good microfiber cloth. When you’re done the paint should have more shine and some scratches should disappear.