When Do I Need Motorcycle Insurance in New Jersey?

You may be searching for information about when you need motorcycle insurance in New Jersey? Riding a motorcycle is both a pleasure and a responsibility. Just like when you get in the driver’s seat of a vehicle with four wheels, you need to know what’s expected of you. You’ll help protect yourself and those who share the road with you.

You Need Motorcycle Insurance in NJ

According to the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (NJMVC), proof of insurance is required before you will be able to title and register a motorcycle in the state. Just like other vehicles that are being operated within New Jersey, motorcycles must have proof of insurance. Otherwise, you could face suspension of your driver’s license as well as steep fines. 

Types of Motorcycle Insurance Required

The laws that govern the roads in New Jersey dictate the types of motorcycle insurance that are required. Motorcycles, like other vehicles that operate on the state’s roadways, must have three specific types of insurance that are mandatory: liability insurance, personal injury protection (PIP), which applies only to pedestrians when struck by a motorcycle, and uninsured motorist coverage.

Requirements to Ride a Motorcycle

New Jersey has several requirements that must be met before you can ride a motorcycle on the state’s roadways. First, the motorcycle must be certified and meet minimum safety standards. In addition, all motorcycles need to be both titled and registered in New Jersey. 

You’ll need proof of insurance, a completed application of a universal title, six points of ID, and a completed vehicle registration application. If there is a lienholder on the motorcycle, you’ll need that information as well. 

You’ll also need to pay the applicable fees. These include both a registration and a titling fee. 

Requirements to Operate a Moped

While a motorcycle license or permit is not required to operate a moped in New Jersey, the state does require that the vehicle be properly registered and insured. In addition, you must have a valid driver’s license, moped permit, or license.

Dirt Bikes Require Liability Insurance

To operate a dirt bike in NJ on public land, you’ll need to have liability insurance. This type of motorcycle insurance is designed to reimburse other people for any damages that are caused if you are the responsible party during an accident on the dirt bike. 

ATV Operation Requirements

An operator of an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) in NJ must be at least 12 years of age. In addition, the vehicle has to be properly registered and have liability insurance while operating on public land. 

This article has been provided for informational purposes only and is based on the most reliable information available on the date of publication.