New Jersey Motorcycle Insurance
General Motorcycle Insurance and ATV/Off-Road Vehicle Insurance Coverage Options for New Jersey
Rider insures a wide range of motorcycles and ATV/Off-Road vehicles with insurance coverage options to satisfy the needs of our customers in New Jersey. All of our policies insure individuals for personal and recreational use only.
All of our motorcycle insurance policies include the following:
All policies include uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. The limits are set at the liability limits that you choose for your policy. This coverage allows you to obtain payment for damages to your vehicle or injuries caused by an uninsured or underinsured motorist who is at fault for an accident. In return for a lower premium, reduced limits are available upon request.
Each policy protects you if another person, including your passenger, makes a claim that they suffered bodily injury or property damage from an accident that was your fault.
Your policy of insurance provides Personal Injury Protection (PIP). In New Jersey, PIP benefits apply only to pedestrians when struck by a motorcycle. PIP pays the cost of treatment up to $250,000 for the pedestrian from hospitals, doctors, and other medical providers.
Insurance Coverage Packages & Options
The State of New Jersey requires that all motorcycle operators carry minimum liability coverage. The State of New Jersey minimum requirements are $15,000 bodily injury, $30,000 each accident, and $5,000 property damage. A standard liability policy covers bodily injury and property damage to the other party in the event of an accident deemed your fault.
Rider offers a range of liability options higher than the standard liability limits.
Bodily Injury Limits Options
$20,000 Bodily Injury – Each Person / $40,000 Bodily Injury – Each Accident
$25,000 Bodily Injury – Each Person / $50,000 Bodily Injury – Each Accident
$35,000 Bodily Injury – Each Person / $80,000 Bodily Injury – Each Accident
$50,000 Bodily Injury – Each Person / $100,000 Bodily Injury – Each Accident
$100,000 Bodily Injury – Each Person / $300,000 Bodily Injury – Each Accident
$250,000 Bodily Injury – Each Person / $500,000 Bodily Injury – Each Accident
Property Damage Limits Options
• Get Home Safe® – We’ll cover your cab fare home once per policy per year up to $50 if you don’t feel safe riding (excluding mechanical breakdown). 1
• Mobile-Friendly Account Access – Accessing your policy is fast and easy with Manage Your Policy, eDocuments and more.
• Pledge of Assurance® – If we ever fall short of our set customer service standards, we’ll make a $25 contribution to your choice of a select group of charities.
1st Party Medical Payments:
This is an optional coverage which pays medical bills for the operator and passengers in an accident. The coverage is provided regardless of fault. Limit options range from $1,000 to $25,000.
Also known as “Other than Collision”, comprehensive is when damage is caused by any of the following: breakage of glass, contact with a bird or animal, explosion or earthquake, fire, hail, water, flood or wind, lightning, malicious mischief or vandalism, missile or falling object, riot or civil commotion, smoke or theft. Policy limit for comprehensive coverage is $45,000, subject to deductible and policy exclusions. All vehicles must be listed in the N.A.D.A. Book to qualify for comprehensive coverage.
Pays for covered losses caused by impact with another vehicle or object. Policy limit for collision coverage is $45,000, subject to deductible and policy exclusions. All vehicles must be listed in the N.A.D.A. Book to qualify for collision coverage.
- Rider Roadside Assistance – 24-hour assistance if your motorcycle is disabled. Coverage includes flatbed towing up to 35 miles, battery jumpstart, mechanical or electrical breakdown assistance, lockout service, emergency fluid delivery (cost of fluids not included), concierge service and an information hotline. Not available for motorcycles used off-road. 2
- Helmet Coverage – covers safety helmets five years old or less (Department of Transportation (DOT) approved) damaged as a result of a covered comprehensive or collision loss, up to $500 per occurrence and is subject to the per motorcycle comprehensive or collision deductible.*
- Motorcycle Safety Riding Apparel Coverage – covers up to $500 damage to safety riding apparel (clothing designed to minimize injury in a motorcycle accident) worn during a covered comprehensive or collision loss and is subject to the per motorcycle comprehensive or collision deductible.*
- Trip Interruption Coverage – up to $600 payment for meals and lodging for an interrupted trip due to a covered collision or comprehensive loss making the insured motorcycle unusable. The loss must occur more than 100 miles from your residence.*
- Trailer Coverage – for policies with comprehensive coverage, trailer coverage protects from damage caused by an insured peril to a trailer that can be towed by a motorcycle regardless of whether it is attached, and applies in excess above any other available coverage. This covers the trailer itself (excluding accessories and customization), not items within it.*
- Replacement Cost Coverage – payment up to $45,000 to replace an insured motorcycle purchased new and deemed a total loss within one calendar year from the purchase date, as long as collision and/or comprehensive coverage applies to the insured motorcycle at the time of loss.*
- Carried Property Coverage – provides up to $1,000 to repair or replace personal property damaged as a result of a covered collision or comprehensive loss to an insured motorcycle.*
- Motorcycles with comprehensive coverage automatically include up to $8,000 of accessory and customization coverage. This includes damage to accessories, chromed parts and non-standard equipment in the case of a covered motorcycle loss. You also have the option to tailor your policy with increased limits up to $30,000. Not available for ATVs or UTVs.
- Interested in upgrading your Accessory Package? Contact us or speak with your agent to hear more details and check your eligibility. We’d be happy to walk you through your options.
- Safety Course Discount: When an insured completes a safety course, a discount is applied to each motorcycle to which they are assigned. A completion certificate must be provided.
- Safety Course Instructor Discount: When an insured completes an instructor safety course, a discount is applied to each motorcycle to which they are assigned. A completion certificate must be provided.
- Rider Experience Discount: A discount is applied on policies with operators who have at least three years’ on-road riding experience or a motorcycle license.
- Advance Shopper Discount: It can pay to plan ahead. The more time between your quote date and policy start date, the bigger the discount you’ll receive.
- Transfer Discount: A discount is applied to any policy transferring coverage from another insurance company, with no lapse in coverage. Prior insurance policy number is required.
- Companion Package Discount: Save money by bundling your motorcycle insurance with Plymouth Rock home, personal auto or commercial auto insurance.
- Group Affinity Discount: Active members of an approved affinity group may receive a discount.
- Riding Group Discount: Policyholders with a current affiliation to a qualifying group may receive a discount.
- Military Discount: Active and former military personnel may receive a discount.
- eDocuments Discount: Sign up to receive your policy documents electronically and we’ll reward you with savings.
- 5 Year Claims Free Discount: Save money by being claims free for five consecutive years.
- Anti-theft Discount: Cut your insurance bill by using anti-theft devices to keep your motorcycle safe.
- Anti-Lock Brake Discount: A discount is applied for motorcycles with anti-lock brakes.
- Pay in Full Discount: Receive a discount for paying your full motorcycle insurance premium upfront rather than making monthly payments.
- Homeowner Discount: Receive a discount for owning a home.
**Certain restrictions apply.
*Available to customers who have purchased comprehensive or collision coverage.
Certain restrictions and limitations apply. Refer to the language issued in your policy or speak with your agent for complete details.
1 – Get Home Safe: Policyholders may be reimbursed up to $50 for the cost of a taxi or car service ride once per policy per year for a one-way ride if they find themselves in a situation where it would be unsafe to operate their motorcycle (not applicable to mechanical breakdown). Original receipt must be submitted with the reimbursement form.
2 – Roadside assistance is provided by Quest Towing Services (QTS). Cost of fluids will be responsibility of policyholder. At no charge to the policyholder, a tow will be provided to any qualified repair facility of policyholder’s choice within a 35 mile radius of the motorcycle’s disablement location. If the policyholder requests to be towed to a destination beyond 35 miles, the policyholder will be responsible to pay the tower at the time of tow the difference in cost from the nearest qualified repair facility within 35 miles and the tow destination they requested. Winching (usually defined as 25 to 30 feet from road depending on tower’s equipment) will be included in the Roadside Services provided for passenger motorcycles. Roadside assistance service for motorcycles does not include services for motorcycles used off-road, trailers used to haul motorcycles, or any service that is reasonably non-accessible to towers. A $75 limit applies to reimbursements for roadside assistance services that were not obtained by contacting QTS. Policyholder is solely responsible for payment directly to the service provider for any fees for accommodations arranged by Concierge Services. A maximum amount of $150 will be reimbursed if the service provider is unable to provide assistance due to specific highway towing restrictions. A copy of the receipt is required.
Important: Information on this page is intended to be advertising statements, and is not an offer or promise of insurance coverage, nor should this information be relied on when determining actual terms, conditions and exclusions which apply to a specific insurance policy.